- 1 kg cod cheeks, trimmed
- 125g plain white flour
- 75g corn flour
- 125ml ice-cold soda water
- 75ml Sarson’s Malt Vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Pour the sunflower oil into your wok and heat it to 190C.
- Place your cod cheeks into a bowl and sift over 50g of plain flour for a very light dusting.
- In a large bowl, make the batter by sifting 75g of plain flour, corn flour and salt. Add the Sarson’s Malt Vinegar and stir through. Add the ice-cold soda water but try not to mix in too thoroughly and don’t worry if you have some lumps.
- Dip the cod cheeks into the batter and fry in batches in the hot oil for 2 minutes, until they are crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately with a slice of lemon.
In collaboration with Food Urchin.