- 5 cucumbers
- 1 litre water
- 500ml Sarsons vinegar
- 800g caster sugar
- 80g fine salt
- Aromatic spices eg mustard seeds, star anise, coriander seed,
- Fennel seed
- 250ml tomato ketchup
- 50ml Dijon mustard
- 150ml Sarsons vinegar
- 100ml runny honey
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 2 large white onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 200g butter
- Half cucumbers lengthways and remove the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Slice cucumbers approx 3mm thick and place in a strainer.
- Toss with 3 tbsp of fine salt and let stand for 1 hour.
- Whilst cucumbers are salting, boil together the water, vinegar, salt, sugar and spices for 10 mins then take off the heat.
- Pat dry the cucumbers and add to sterilised jars, pouring over the hot pickle liquor.
- Sweat diced onion and garlic in butter until golden and softened.
- Add all other ingredients to the pan, Cook over a low heat for 10 mins then blend to a smooth consistency.
- Cover a 1.5kg pork shoulder in half the marinade and leave in fridge overnight. When ready to cook, place pork in a baking tray, 4. pour in 1 litre of water and cook at 140c for 6-8 hours. When tender, shred and mix in the remaining marinade.