- 1.5kg Onions
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 280g Dark brown sugar
- 200ml Sarson’s Malt Vinegar
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp Wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- Peel and slice onions very thinly. Gently heat the oil in large pan with a lid and soften the onions with the lid on. Stir occasionally to stop them from browning.
- Stir in 3tbsp of sugar and turn up heat so that the onions caramelise. They will go a rich brown colour, but don’t let them burn. Add the rest of sugar, 200ml Sarson’s Malt Vinegar and the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the mixture becomes thick.
- Spoon into sterilised jars (about 3 x 250ml jars), and leave mature for a couple of weeks.