- 300g Garlic bulbs
- 300ml Sarsons Malt vinegar
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 12 pink peppercorns
- 3 bay leaves
- 50g granulated sugar
- pinch of saffron
- Put the garlic in a large bowl and tip over a kettle of boiling water. Leave for 20 seconds then pour into a colander, return to the bowl and pour over lots of very cold water. The skins should now peel off very easily.
- Put the vinegar, sugar and saffron into a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for a minute or two.
- Put the peeled garlic into a 500ml sterilised jar adding the fennel, peppercorns and bay as you go. Carefully tip the hot vinegar into a jug then pour over the garlic completely covering the bulbs.
- Seal and leave to stand for a week.