- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 10 cloves
- 5cm fresh root ginger, sliced
- 2 tsp black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 litre Sarson’s Speciality Pickling Blend
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1kg caster sugar
- 2kg small pears
- Place lemon zest and juice, cloves, root ginger, peppercorns, vinegar, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a pan. Stir over gentle heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Peel, core and halve pears, add to the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and drain.
- Meanwhile, increase the heat and boil syrup rapidly for 15 minutes until reduced by about a third and slightly thickened. Pack the fruit into warmed Kilner jars and pour over hot syrup to cover.
- Seal and store in a cool place for a month before using.