- 1 medium red cabbage
- 1tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- 450ml Pickling vinegar
- ½ small onion sliced
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and discard the outer leaves. Cut away the hard central core and shred the remaining cabbage finely. Layer the cabbage in a bowl with salt then cover and leave to stand overnight.
- In a saucepan gently heat the vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- The following day thoroughly rinse the cabbage and pat dry with kitchen roll.
- Pack into a sterilised jar adding a slice or two of onion as you go.
- Pour in the vinegar until the cabbage is covered then put on the lid. Leave for a week before eating.