- 500g shallots onions
- 25g table salt
- 450ml Sarsons Pickling vinegar
- 100g granulated sugar
- 5 dried chillies
- 5 bay leaves
- Put the shallots in a large bowl and tip over a kettle of boiling water. Leave for 20 seconds then pour into a colander, return to the bowl and pour over lots of very cold water. The skins should now peel off very easily.
- Once peeled, layer in a bowl and sprinkle each layer with salt. Cover and leave overnight or up to 24hrs.
- Meanwhile pour the vinegar, sugar, chillies and bay leaves into a saucepan, bring to the boil then remove from the heat and set aside to allow the spices to infuse.
- The following day rinse the shallots well and pat dry. Pack them into sterilised jars then use a jug to pour over the vinegar, including the chillies and bay.
- Seal and allow to mature for 4-6 weeks.