- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 568ml (1 pint) whole milk
- 150g Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 275g macaroni, cooked and drained
- 5 tbsp Branston Original Pickle
For the topping
- 25g dried breadcrumbs
- 25g Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in pan over a low heat.
- Add flour and mustard and beat quickly with a wooden spoon to form a paste.
- Gradually pour in milk and beat gently to prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a simmer and gently cook for 2-3 minutes continually stirring.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheese.
- Preheat oven to fan 170°C, conventional 190°C, gas 5.
- Spoon macaroni into the sauce, give it a good stir and then pour into a 1 litre ovenproof dish.
- Spoon good dollops of pickle over macaroni, then toss breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle over the pickle.
- Cook for 20 minutes until golden and crispy.