For the pickled red onion
- Sarson’s malt pickling vinegar
- 375g red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
For the chilli bean bites
- 400g can of mixed beans, washed and drained
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 165g cheddar cheese, grated
- 5g fresh coriander
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- 60g dried breadcrumbs
- Olive oil to fry
- 6 soft tortillas
- Mixed salad
To make the pickled red onion
- Put the onions and garlic in a sterilised large jar and fully cover with vinegar.
- Replace the lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
To make the chilli bean bites
- Place the beans, curry powder, chilli powder, cheese, coriander, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until combined but still coarse.
- Tip into a bowl and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mix into 12 equal pieces, roll into balls and flatten slightly.
- Heat about 1cm of olive oil in a pan until very hot.
- Add the bites to the pan with a slotted spatula and fry for about a minute either side until golden. (If your pan is smaller, work in batches).
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Fold each tortilla in half, then into thirds to create a pocket.
- Fill with salad, a little mayo and a dash of paprika, then place two bites in each pocket.
- Finish with some of the pickled onions.
In collaboration with A Mummy Too.