- 4 fresh egg whites
- 220g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp Sarson’s vinegar
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 400g strawberries
- 200g raspberries
- 1 kiwi/pear
- Optional – grated chocolate or extra icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks. Slowly, whilst still whisking, add in the sugar, around one third at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
- Sift in the cornflour and add the vinegar – fold in with a metal spoon.
- Scoop the whisked meringue onto the lined baking tray and with the back of a metal spoon; make a dip in the centre.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Open the oven door, turn off the heat and let the meringue cool completely inside the oven.
- In the meantime, wash and chop the strawberries. Whisk the double cream and icing sugar until just thickened. Carefully transfer the meringue from the baking tray onto a large plate. Spread over the whipped cream and top with the strawberries, raspberries and kiwi or pear. Sprinkle with grated chocolate or dust with a little extra icing sugar and serve.